Tuesday, March 29, 2011

DIY Cake Stands

Today I had the day off and headed to the nearest 'large' city for shopping. My sewing machine needed a long overdue service and I had to run a few errands. While I was waiting for my machine I hit up the local St. Vincent Thrift Store. It's out in a part of town that is a little more run down and either it's a really good place or I always hit it at just the right time. Today I was lucky enough to show up and the ENTIRE store was 50% off. When prices are already dirt cheap this is basically stealing.

I've been looking for some simple cake stands to use for displays and entertaining. Lately we've been doing a lot of simple entertaining with friends and family at our home and always need to add height to the food table.


I dug through the piles of dishes at the thrift store and found 4 matching/eclectic creamy white plates and tea cups. The cups were .15 cents each (plus 50% off) and the plates were .25 cents each (plus 50% off), for a grand total of .82 cents!


Using E6000 glue or any other super durable glue, I attached them together at their bases. Voilla, 4 cake stands for a price of .82 cents. I don't think it can get much cheaper than that. Plus, I know that I will use them over and over to make them well worth it.




I was also able to score 3 Haeger USA bowls/dishes for less than $10. They are in perfect condition and now I just have to find them a home, within our already full of collectible pottery house.

No comments: