Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Our Very First Tree!



When I was younger my family always went to cut down our Christmas tree after Thanksgiving dinner. We're one of those odd families that don't get into football and found something better to do with full bellies. With out family growing up and having parties with 'their other halves' this hasn't happened for a few years. This year is our First Christmas together as a married couple and I was determined to have a real tree for the smell and fun of cutting one down. On Thanksgiving it was BITTER cold here but I was convinced this had to happen. So we bundled up in our Carhart, longjohns, and oodles of layers of clothes and headed to the tree farm. We came home with the perfect tree and it's finally decorated with Christmas cheer and of course birds! Birds are so natural and whimsical to me and I have this weird thing for them, so of course I went with a cardinal and winter bird theme this year. I used my sticks back from this post and gave them a place to perch.


I added some berries, silver balls, vintage ornaments, and a little mercury glass for the vintage feel.


These awesome birds were my inspiration. I LOVE the huge ribbon tail feathers. They were my splurge for decorating this year. :)


The sparkly balls and sticks are incredible at night.


I have no idea what this crazy chenille ribbon stuff is but I found it in the craft aisle and it fits my look perfectly!


The only thing missing (other than a tree skirt) are the embroidered birds that my mom just did on her new embroidery machine. They are in pieces in my studio and waiting to be hung!

No comments: