Sunday, January 2, 2011

Instant Oatmeal Recipe

When I used to live with my parents I was the typical kid that slept as late as humanly possible just so I had enough time to brush my teeth and throw my hair in a pony tail before school. Now that I have a busy life as a newly-wed with a full time job and remodeling a house I have to eat breakfast to keep myself going. I used to buy the instant oatmeal packets... until I decided I could make my own for much cheaper. I researched a few recipes and made up my own!



Instant Oatmeal
3 cups cooking oats
pinch of salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp sugar/brown sugar

In a food processor blend 1 cup of the oats until they are powder. Combine the other ingredients all in a large airtight container. To make the oatmeal, use 1/2 cup of the mix to 3/4 cup water and cook like other instant oatmeal. I put an extra measuring cup right into the container to make it easier and quicker in the morning.
Extra Tip: If you have kids that take breakfast to school or get ready by themselves in the morning, put the 1/2 cup into a microwavable container, draw a permanent line on the container with a Sharpie that the water must be filled to. Then the student can make themselves a healthy and warm breakfast.


I put the oatmeal mixture into a clear container that sits on the counter next to the other vital part of my morning commute. This is the perfect way to stay warm and full and start your day off. Plus, who wouldn't want to start their morning with a money-saving idea!?

No comments: